Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Jordan Valdez Post #8 The Last of the Mohicans

Post #8, Jordan Valdez, 1992, The Last of the Mohicans, Directed by Michael Mann

        The Last of the Mohicans comes up across the boards as one of the best films made in 1992.  Daniel Day Lewis is incredible in the film and the story told is important to the history of early America.  However, this has to be the first of the films that I have watched for this project that I have not thoroughly enjoyed.  I did think it was powerful and emotional, but I found myself getting lost or bored at certain points due to the endless drawn out progression of the story.  The action scenes, although very intense, were a bit long, and it was easy to lose focus on what exactly was going on.  I did enjoy the controversial love story that was embedded into the film, however, I know that this of course was not the main point of the movie.
        As far as film techniques go, I felt that the most important shot in this film was the reaction shot.  Because of the lack of dialogue, the emotions on the faces of the actors was essential in telling the story and making sure the audience understood what was occurring.  The establishing shot was also crucial in setting the scene for which side of the battle we were viewing.  Other shots that were mainly used were medium and long shots, close ups were popular, and high and low angle shots helped capture various action scenes.  I also saw the war aspect of this film as a potential related concept to the crime aspect of many of the other films I have watched from 1992.  Although The Last of the Mohicans was not my favorite movie, I can still appreciate the story, the actors, and the quality of film that was presented in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment