Friday, April 27, 2012

Blog Post #9: Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, 1991 by Kevin Reynolds

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was not at all what I expected.  I was shocked at how dark and violent the film was.  It reminded me a little of The Count of Monte Cristo, especially in the opening scenes.  I didn’t realize it would be so unlike the cartoon version.  So much more fighting and gore was involved in this one.  It was more historical and medieval than anything. The film was directed by Kevin Reynolds in 1991.  The cast was quite interesting and shocking. Seeing Morgan Freeman, Kevin Costner, and Alan Rickman in the same film was unexpected.  Alan Rickman’s character was the same role he always plays. He usually plays an antagonist and a creepy one at that. 
The aesthetics of this film stuck out more than any other film I watched for this project. I love the gore and violent element of film it added to its enjoyment. The establishing shot to most of the scenes greatly affected the viewing in a positive light. It gave the audience a feel for the time frame.
My favorite scene is when Robin Hood shoots his bow and arrow and the camera films from the point of view of the arrow. It was a very awesome shot. The arrow is zooming through the air in the woods and nails into a tree and splits into 3 pieces. It was such a powerful shot and the most memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment