Friday, April 27, 2012

JFK '91


Oliver Stone directed the documentary JFK in a way that made the film better than most documentaries I’ve seen. The dramatic story is presented meticulously. Since being in Sound, Image and Motion, I’ve gotten a glimpse of how hard cinematic manipulation and technique is to understand, let alone master. I just made a documentary on Ultra Music Festival and I kept thinking about my video while watching JFK. I can really appreciate how good this documentary turned out.
The writing and the photography were blended seamlessly with some extra ‘oomf’ from the music. It is quite complex how all are edited together to produce this persuasive documentary.
There were so many characters. There was so much information in the documentary that came from interlocking flashbacks, and skillfully interweaved documentary and fictional footage. It is a surprise that the information is presented in a way that is not confusing at all. Kevin Costner’s passionate performance created an illusion for me that I was actually seeing these historical figures. The film still does not answer the mystery of the Kennedy assassination. I certainly feel like this documentary succeeded at posing a question to the viewers—who acted with Lee Harvey Oswald? He could not have acted alone. Before viewing JFK, I was not able to contemplate this significant moment in history the way I am able to now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment