Friday, February 24, 2012

Tamara D. Joseph post # 2: Internal Affairs (1990) directed by Mike Figgis

Internal Affairs, directed by Mike Figgis, is your average good cop tries to nail bad cop movie. After an ample amount of research, I have noticed that besides the Sopranos, which I have seen only two or three episodes due to my brother’s obsession with the show, I have never seen a movie by Mike Figgis. So, it was interesting to discover the work of a new director, although, nothing about the movie impressed me. It contained a traditional plot, traditional script, and traditional settings. I do have to admit it was refreshing to see Richard Gere play the villain. If it were not because of this project, I might have never gotten a chance to see him play the bad guy which I think he did quite well.

I did appreciate a particular scene where the main character, Andy Garcia, has flashes of his wife being intimate with his enemy. The scene was comprised of multiple shots where reality was shot in color but fiction (what he was imagining) was shot in black and white. I think these black and white shots added some intensity to a very plain movie. It happened only once, and I think the director wanted it so. It felt as if he wanted to keep it fresh and not overuse it throughout the film; it was, if I may say, a very nice touch.

At times, the movie gave off ambiguous impressions meaning there are parts where foul language is used and somewhat crude sexual scenes were shown, but none of it seemed convincing enough to make me want to cover my eyes. I have seen crude movies that came out in the ninety-nineties and Internal Affairs cannot compare. Other times, appropriate language was used. This may have work to the movie’s advantage if certain characters were portrayed as foul and crude, while other maintain a more respectful behavior. Thus, it would have been about the diversity of characters within a movie, instead of the different feels within a movie.

1 comment:

  1. My own personal opinion Tamara is that language, normal or the four lettered variety, is not just used to convey the characters' personality(s). It's often just made to appeal to the dimmest bulb in the room quite frankly.

    I knew a guy in the army who would insert the word 'fuck' into almost every sentence he spoke, sometimes twice. After a week or so of talking to him, it was so common that it lost all it's 'shock' value.

    The same is said for movies. If it feels forced or premeditated it comes off as tacky or just out of place. But when I watch a Kevin Smith movie like "Clerks" or nearly anything by Tarantino, it actually sounds like poetry to me.

    Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete