Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sabrina Brandsema: Point Break (1991)


The 1991 Film, Point Break is possibly one of my favorite movies which I was introduced to because of this SIM class.  I'm not going to say that I fell in love with it because of the great camera angles, or camera work. I will tell you that Keanu Reeves & Patrick Swayze are GORGEOUS. Just had to say it.

Los Angles, California. This film has an really great plot to it, Keanu Reeves is payed by the FBI to learn how to surf because of recent bank robberies that have been happening due to a group or gang called the ex-presidents. The "ex-presidents" are known to be surfers. There's one scene in particular that really is amazing because it makes you think of how much time and effort went into shooting it.  I'm a surfer myself and something that people don't really realize is that when you are capturing a surf scene, there are actual underwater photographers with their camera equipment right below the surfer, they see them below the water and pop up right when they're in the crest of the wave to capture the shot. EXTREMELY hard to do. One thing that I noticed which I would say was poorly done is you cannot shoot underwater photography of surfing at a point break - extremely dangerous and nearly impossible. Most of the shots in this scene are low angle shots and extreme close ups, you the viewer gets a really up close and personal experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment