Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Jordan Valdez Post #3 The Bodyguard

     Post #3, Jordan Valdez, The Bodyguard, 1992, Directed by Mick Jackson

     I was very excited to do this project because it gave me the excuse to watch The Bodyguard, directed by Mick Jackson, for the first time.  And I can't believe I've waited this long to see it! Everything about this movie was entertaining and intriguing.  From beginning to end, the story and the plot captured me and I didn't want it to end.  The simple idea of a pop star and her bodyguard became such an interesting story in this film.  The raw emotional displays of the characters were so powerful and real.  Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston were incredible individually as well as together, sharing a strong on-screen chemistry.  I love a good love story but that along with the aspects of the thriller genre made it so dynamic.  And yet another movie from 1992 had the concept of crime involved in some way.  I also loved the mystery throughout the film that kept me on the edge of my seat and prayed for Rachel and Frank.  I expected some sort of twist in the end but not the one I got, for sure.  Finally, the soundtrack of this film really pulled everything together, and I have to admit I shed a tear as "I Will Always Love You" played in the end.
    Not only were the acting, story, and themes in this movie strong, but the filmmaking techniques were as well.  Jackson did an incredible job combining the mentioned aspects of the film as well as using various shots and styles to set up the story.  I think that the reaction shot definitely proved most important in this film as we were able to see the pure emotion in the characters' faces as different events occurred.  Jackson also favored the close up shot a lot throughout the film and gave us intimate looks into faces, actions, and reactions.  There was also a variety of dolly shots in which the camera either panned or tilted, or even revolved, around the scene to give the viewer a better look at the action or setting.  I also saw a good variety of OTS shots and medium and long shots as well.  Overall, I really enjoyed The Bodyguard as a whole and am glad I could understand and appreciate every aspect of the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment