Monday, February 27, 2012

Alex Williams, Post #2, Man Bites Dog, 1992, Remy Belvaux/ Andre Bonzel/ Benoit Poelvoorde

To start off with, Man Bites Dog is among the most disturbing films I have ever seen.  The documentary style of the film creates a grittiness and realness that really makes the violence stand out.
The main character, Ben, is a serial killer who takes victims at random and has a camera crew following him to document everything he does.  Ben's character is very interesting, but takes a little bit too much from the cliche' serial killer's persona.  There were too many parallels between Ben in this film and Alex from A Clockwork Orange for me to consider Ben to be a truly groundbreaking character.  The documentary crew director actually ended up being my favorite character in the film, because of how dramatically he changed throughout the piece.
In my opinion, the one thing that made this film really stand out is the shot length.  Because this film is a mockumentary, some shots lasted an incredibly long period of time.  These long shots, combined with the spontaneity of Ben, created some of the most tense and suspenseful scenes I have seen in a long time.  The tension build up was one of the highlights of the movie as a whole.
I personally enjoyed this movie, but I would not want to watch it a second time and I would not really recommend it to anyone due to how disturbing it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment