Sunday, February 26, 2012

#2 Lauren Pruett: Heathers (1988)




Heathers is a masterpiece of film and I honestly can’t believe I’ve never seen it before.  I’ll admit that when I saw it on the list of films from 1988, I assumed it was some chick flick that I’d be bored sitting through, but I couldn’t have been more wrong.  It was funny, smart, dark, cynical, and everything that recent movies could never be.

I went into this movie knowing nothing of the plot, which isn’t something I do ordinarily, and I’m so glad I did.  It starts off with the lighthearted feel and style of any John Hughes film you’ve ever seen, and when she flat-out kills Heather, for all of the foreshadowing that there is, it’s still a shock as to how fast it happens.  The film progressively gets darker the farther into the story you go, until the showdown in the boiler room.  The juxtaposition of the bloody fight downstairs with the bright and cheerful pep ralley above is really very jarring.

No comments:

Post a Comment