Monday, February 27, 2012

Alex Williams, Post #3, Enchanted April, 1992, Mike Newell

Enchanted April not the kind of movie I would normally watch.  The film is about four London women who all go to Italy to relax, and eventually discover new things about themselves.  As a whole the characterization was well done, although at some points it did not make complete sense why certain character's attitudes changed so dramatically and quickly.  It was understood that the place they stayed at was supposed to me extremely comforting, but I felt like the plot was being manipulated when a chronically cheating husband suddenly became the image of monogamy in only a matter of hours.
My favorite device used in the film was the fact that you could hear the character's thoughts through voice over.  This added a new element to some of the conversations between characters, and made the dialogue feel a little bit more like a book's than a movie's.  I think that utilizing this third person perspective also made it much easier for the audience to relate to and understand the characters in the movie.
I would not necessarily recommend this movie to friends, but that is only because it is not a genre that I particularly enjoy.  If you like Jane Austen stories then you would probably also enjoy this.

No comments:

Post a Comment