Thursday, March 1, 2012

Tamara D. Joseph post # 5: Marked for death (1990) directed by Dwight H. Little

My oldest memory of Steven Seagal was that my siblings and I used to think that breaking bones was the only thing he could do, and my mother used to watch his movies all the time because for one reason or the other she thought he was so handsome. When I saw Marked for death, directed by Dwight H. Little, I automatically chose to watch it because I remember, as a child, every time that movie was on TV, I was kicked out of the room. So my only memory of it was bits and pieces of certain scenes that I had seen when I was younger.

Now that I have watched it completely, I can honestly say that it is one of the most horrible movies I have ever seen. The soundtrack felt so out of place, one moment there was a tribal music in the background to sort of fit the whole voodoo ritual mood that Jamaicans had during the movie, and suddenly, there would be some random hard rock and roll music when a chase or a battle was taking place. The change in music was very abrupt; there was no blending or smooth crossover between them. As for certain scenes, I felt as if I was watching Blair Witch Project all over again, the camera was shaky, and it seemed as if the movie was a reality TV show.

I find it hard to believe that Marked for Death is said to be one of the greatest films of its year. Compare it to any of the other movies I have viewed previously for this project, it remains the one with the worst plot, the script is poorly written, and the actors seem to have never taking an acting class in their life. I guess times have changed because I don’t understand how I could ever have thought that Steven Seagal was good actor. Next to movies such as Die Hard2: Die Harder, this movie as a whole is an epic failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment