Friday, March 2, 2012

New Jack City 1991 Alex Granata


New Jack City
            New Jack City is about Nino Brown, and his gang, that ends up becoming the major drug ring in NYC.  They end up converting an old apartment building into a crack house that ends up being extremely successful for them, however they need to deal with a team of under covers.  It takes place in the 1980’s when crack cocaine just surfaced and was pretty much unheard of before that.  
I chose to watch this movie for a few reasons.  One of the main reasons was the actors who were listed in it.  I love Wesley Snipes, Ice-T and Chris Rock.  I’m a big “White Men Can’t Jump” fan, “Law and Order” fan and “Rush Hour” fan.  I also chose this movie because I love movies about drugs/crime and seeing how they pan out.  I loved seeing how the director, Mario Van Peebles, interpreted the crime/drugs, especially the crack house that was converted from apartments.
            After watching this movie I realized there was a lot more to it, than I thought.  I picked New Jack City because I thought it would be a fun movie to watch and it would simply appeal to me.  However, I found some themes in it that I didn’t expect myself to see, one of them being, illegal activity will pretty much always result in a negative situation.  Although the crew was making extremely good money through selling drugs, a lot of lives were lost and the survivors got in trouble with the law.
            This is somewhat random but I also chose this movie because I thought I would enjoy the soundtrack, the culture and the fashion that the characters wore in this flick.  I was right, I’m a big old school/90’s hip-hop head and the soundtrack was definitely spot on and kept me interested.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment