Friday, March 2, 2012

Molly Forke: Ninja Turtles


                
               
Ninja Turtles (1990)

                I remember Ninja Turtles being one of my all-time favorite movies as a kid growing up in the 90’s.  That’s when I officially went into my tom-boy stage; no more dresses, lacey socks, bows in my hair or side-pony tails.  As I re-watched this classic kids movie, I realized how poor the production really is.  But when you’re a kid, those things apparently don’t matter.
                One thing I still loved about this movie was all of the settings and how well they meshed with the characters.  For example, there is one scene in the movie where it is a dark alley with fog circling around a lonely manhole on the ground.  The only sound is from traffic and people walking by, but unaware of this secret alley.  That’s when Splinter comes into view; a nasty, crusty rat from the city sewers.  The way the location sets up for both character and mood is a great way of foreshadowing.
                To be honest, it was hard to focus on anything else except for the turtle costumes.  I really don’t know how I didn’t notice how poorly made they were when I was younger.  But other than that, I will always love the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that love kung-fu and pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment