Thursday, March 1, 2012

Pretty Woman 1990

Kelly Wade post#4 -- Pretty Woman, 1990 -- Directed by: Garry Marshall



       I have always loved and idolized Julia Roberts. And because my mom was so strict about what I could watch growing up, to this day I've only watched a few scenes from her break out movie Pretty Woman. I had some ideas about this film before I watched it in it's entirety. Let me say, this quickly became one of my favorite of her performances, and possibly one of my top 5 movies of all time. 
The premise of this movie is automatically engaging; a fun-loving prostate who ends up staying with a rich, recently single millionaire, and they fall in love. Aww. But what really makes it a classic is the transformation Julia's character goes through. It was funny watching the opening scene in which Richard Gere takes off in an old Lamborghini. It was quite dramatic with the Richard being so debonaire, handsome and charming, and the two finding each other in the oddest way (he got lost). But the scenes in which Julie (Vivienne) shows genuine emotion, brings clear and raw charisma through the acting. A little rough around the edges, Vivienne giggles, lets her red hair out of a blonde wig, and even hoots at a proper Polo match. 
Filming wasn't anything special. Lighting and background music played a  major role; from the scene when Vivienne lays on the hotel room floor, letting the scene where the two first have sex be lit only with the glare of the television. Or when Edward (Gere) plays an intense piece on the piano, where almost no words are spoken in the scene. My favorite part is when Edward first sees Vivienne all dressed up and out of her prostate clothing in the hotel lobby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment